About WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Human Resources and Safety Manager -Stroudsburg, PA
1 Paper Mill Road
Delaware Water Gap, Pennsylvania, 18327
At WestRock, we provide packaging solutions designed to give our customers a winning edge in the global marketplace. We partner closely with them to deliver the best value on everything from paperboard used for a wide variety of packaging and shipping containers to specialty packages, boxes and displays. We consider ourselves to be part of their team – as we strive for continuous improvement together. Every day, our 45,000 team members combine practical innovations and rigorous execution in more than 300 operating and business facilities across North America, South America, Europe and Asia-Pacific to deliver products and services that answer unique local needs.
The Human Resources and Safety Manager has overall responsibility for general management, strategic planning, and fulfillment of all HR services and Safety processes. This position directs the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of a diverse range of policies and procedures in support of established mission and goals. The HR & Safety Manager will work closely with the General Manager, and interact as a member of the Mill Leadership Team to achieve the short and long term goals for the facility.
How you will impact WestRock:
Responsible for all aspects of the Human Resources and Safety processes including safety program oversight and compliance, employment, benefits, health and wellness, employee and labor relations.
- Responsible for helping to lead, motivate and foster a safety-conscious culture in the workplace to reduce incidents and injuries.
- Responsible for developing and continually improving the safety and health processes for the facility and compliance with applicable regulations.
- Promote the continuous improvement of facility safety and health systems to reduce safety-related incidents and encourage participation in wellness related offerings.
- Assurance of regulatory compliance, and to make safe behaviors part of day-to-day thinking.
- Commitment to work "hands on" to help the entire team understand the company's culture and commitment to safety.
- Responsible for the administrative aspects of the safety function including maintaining all applicable records, programs and files
- Responsible for compliance with all applicable Federal and State Laws including EEO, FMLA, HIPAA, ADA, and Collective Bargaining.
- Conducts periodic training on applicable topics including sexual harassment, diversity, and employment law.
- Responsible for managing and meeting the staffing needs of the organization. This includes the sourcing, selection, testing, and hiring of employees as well as conducting new employee orientation.
- Responsible for proactively developing and improving the knowledge and skills of the organization. This includes analyzing training and development needs, determining and providing resources for employee development and training, as well as coaching and mentoring.
- Key leader in cultural change initiatives to create a team of actively engaged employees
- Coordinates labor relations activities including contract interpretation and grievance administration. Handles complaints, settles disputes, resolves grievances and conflicts, and conducts internal investigative procedures.
- Responsible for the administrative aspects of the human resources function including maintaining records and confidential employee files, employee pay and providing statistical and regulatory reporting.
- Researches and introduces policy changes for General Manager and Leadership Team approval. Consults and advises Leadership Team on topics of interest that could have a major impact on employee morale.
- Provides customer service and support to all employees, including off shift employees in a rotating shift, 24-7 operation.
What you need to succeed:
- A bachelor's degree and ten (10) years of Human Resource experience in a unionized manufacturing environment.
- At least four (4) years of Safety leadership experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Skilled in areas of strategic planning, problem solving, employee development, coaching and conflict resolution.
- Experience managing union grievance processes
- Significant experience with developing, managing and improving Health and Safety processes.
- CSP, PHR or SHRM-CP certification are a plus.
- Strong written, verbal, and presentation communication skills
- Ability to investigate and assess employee conflicts objectively and solve such issues using a variety of methods and tools, including coaching and conflict resolution.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Attention to detail with strong organizational skills
- Bring assignments to a successful completion under specific deadlines
- Effective at multi-tasking and managing multiple priorities
- Ability to lead change
- Team building and influencing skills
- Strong analytical/problem-solving ability
- Possess a sense of urgency and self-motivation
- May travel occasionally (<10%)
What we offer:
· Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
· Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
· An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
· A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.