Human Resources Generalist - Allegan, MI
About WestRock WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Human Resources Generalist - Allegan, MI
504 Eastern Ave
Allegan, Michigan, 49010
GENERAL PURPOSE: Responsible for managing facility employee relations, employee communications, and recruitment. Maintains all HR files. Works with Regional HR Director to ensure that approved compensation structure is fairly and accurately administered. Ensures performance evaluations are done timely and accurately. Ensures adherence to company HR policies and procedures. Implements corporate HR initiatives. Leads change by improving processes and procedures and by supporting new policies, procedures, programs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
•Support effective employee relations within the team by advising on the appropriate deployment of HR and compliance policies and the development of a culture of positive employee engagement.
• Maintains compliance with state and federal employment laws as well as company policies and procedures.
• Tracks and reports on HR metrics.
• Tracks employee statistics for mandatory government reporting.
• Consults with Regional Director of HR to ensure fair and equitable administration wage and benefit programs.
• Maintains positive employee relations ensuring union-free environments, including the identification of breaches of culture/values that impact the work environment.
• Investigates employee relations issues and partners Regional Director of HR to resolve.
• In conjunction with Regional Director of HR, analyzes turnover to identify trends and develop and implement retention strategies.
• Manages new employee onboarding program.
• Ensures the availability of an adequate, well trained workforce to support the operational goals of the facility by partnering with operations to recruit and retain a diverse workforce.
• Sources candidates, screens resumes, arranges interview team schedules, ensures compliance to all company policy and procedure related to hiring.
• Works with managers to ensure performance reviews are done timely and accurately. Works with the Regional Director of HR to develop employee improvement plans.
• Drives and executes company HR initiatives.
• Oversees and/or conducts new employee orientation.
• Conducts training, including management development training, in HR related areas(interviewing, coaching etc.).
• Ensures employee files are maintained in accordance with company policy.
• Conducts annual open enrollment meetings.
• Supports the facility safety programs, including training and OSHA relations. Participates on safety committees. Investigates accidents and maintains OSHA log.
• Works with Regional Director of HR to manage worker’s compensation claims. Keeps Regional Director of HR up to date on progress of all claims.
• Represents Company at unemployment hearings and other employee-related proceedings.
• Travels as required.
• Performs other job duties as assigned.
• Requirements include BA/BS and a minimum of 3 years’ human resources generalist experience. PHR/SPHR preferred.
• Strong knowledge of state and federal employment law.
• Effective written and oral communication skills, including negotiation, persuasion and conflict resolution abilities.
• Time management and organizational skills required, including the ability to manage competing priorities.
• Must demonstrate strong attention to detail.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office products with strong emphasis in Excel and Word, Outlook and HRIS software.
• Must have a strong work-ethic as well as a sense of urgency.
• Must be able to perform job duties with minimal supervision.
• Must be self-motivated.
• Must be able to relate effectively with others at all levels of the organization.
• Must be able to maintain good attendance.
• Must have mathematical ability to perform calculations required by the job.
• Must be able to maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
• Must have a professional appearance.
• Must be available for managers and employees at various hours of the day and night.
• Must be willing to work evening and night shifts periodically.
• Must be able to perform all essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.
Join our Talent Community
See the latest jobs, news and events by joining our talent community:
WestRock Company is creating and maintaining a diverse workforce. For us, diversity and inclusion are business drivers and we take it very seriously. It all starts with a diverse employee base operating in an inclusive environment. An environment where everyone feels valued and respected.
Click here to find our Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity policy statement.
Westrock participates in E-Verify
We do understand that some of our candidates may require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the WestRock application process, including use of this website. If this is the case for you, please contact us at: EMAIL: email@example.com OR PHONE: 1-800-762-5836. Only phone calls pertaining to disability assistance will be returned. One of our Talent Acquisition or Human Resources members will work with you to provide alternative means to submit your application.