Safety Intern - Lansing, MI
About WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Safety Intern - Lansing, MI
5800 West Grand River Ave
Lansing, Michigan, 48906
The Lansing location is seeking a Safety Intern to Provide support to the department, including creating safety and training materials, and assist with safety programs and initiatives.
How you will impact WestRock
Works with Maintenance and EHS Manager to identify LOTO points.
Tracks and reports air emissions into the tracking software.
Compiles and records various EHS records as directed.
Reviews and updates current SWPPP, SPCC, PPE and other plants for accuracy with the assistance of the Safety Manager.
Assists with sound level measuring for the facility.
- Posts LOTO instructions on equipment in the plant.
- Works with EHS Manager to put together training materials for operators.
- Works with Admin and EHS manager to put together a plan for tracking new SDS sheets.
- Works with EHS manager, Press Operations, and Maintenance to identify lock out points for Electric, Compressed air, thermal, etc.
- Documents the findings and enters into software program.
- Prints and laminates safety documents and instructions.
- Mounts the instructions on all production equipment in the building.
- Helps create a training PPT for training the operators.
Performs other job duties as assigned.
What you need to succeed
- Must be at least a Sophomore pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Health and Safety or a related discipline from an accredited four-year college or university.
- Must have advanced computer skills in Microsoft Excel, Power Point, and Word applications.
- Must demonstrate initiative and ability to prioritize workload and have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be professional, confident, and self-motivated to work on projects in an effective manner and manage deadlines well.
- Must be able to maintain good attendance.
- Must be willing to work overtime as needed.
- Must be reliable and dependable.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation.
What we offer
Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
#VA(Applicable State Abbreviation)
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.
Join our Talent Community
See the latest jobs, news and events by joining our talent community:
WestRock Company is creating and maintaining a diverse workforce. For us, diversity and inclusion are business drivers and we take it very seriously. It all starts with a diverse employee base operating in an inclusive environment. An environment where everyone feels valued and respected.
Click here to find our Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity policy statement.
Westrock participates in E-Verify
We do understand that some of our candidates may require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the WestRock application process, including use of this website. If this is the case for you, please contact us at: EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org OR PHONE: 1-800-762-5836. Only phone calls pertaining to disability assistance will be returned. One of our Talent Acquisition or Human Resources members will work with you to provide alternative means to submit your application.