Procurement Forester - Fernandina Beach, FL
About WestRock WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Procurement Forester - Fernandina Beach, FL
600 North 8th St
Fernandina Beach, Florida, 32034-3321
We are looking for a Procurement Forester to join our Fernandina, Forest Resources team to assist in aggressively managing fiber purchase requirements supporting the overall region objectives to maintain the lowest cost, highest quality fiber sourcing in support of mill’s forecasted needs while maintaining the highest compliance with safety and environmental requirements. This Procurement Forester role will focus on working directly with private landowners and open market sources. to secure stumpage volumes of pulpwood, chips and fuel to be delivered primarily to the Fernandina Mill to defined targets annually utilizing contract harvest operations managed by this position. The position will be relied on to guide associates, support team initiatives, and provide strong customer service to our mill customer.
1. Lead, promote, enhance, and model WestRock’s safety and environmentally-conscious culture.
2. Assist the Area Manager to execute long-term fiber supply agreements.
3. Assist in the development and lead ground level execution of the tactical plans supporting the annual strategy built on mill requirements, solid analysis, and robust understanding of market data including proactively capturing pertinent market data, evaluate relevance to region strategy, identify cost savings opportunities, and provide feedback and options to the Area Manager for decision making.
4. Manage contracts regarding cut and haul work in the open market environment and in general within any fiber supply agreement.
5. Managing weekly wood flow with an understanding of the necessary balance of wood flow to meet papermill requirements.
6. Effectively evaluate stumpage purchase opportunities and successfully negotiate pricing based on true market demands that provide high quality fiber to the digester at lowest possible costs.
7. Effectively recruit and maintain quality harvest contractors to ensure harvest of stumpage purchases are within desired timeframes, adhere to all external Best Management Practices (BMPs) standards and meet the landowner objectives all while maintaining the lowest sustained harvest cost.
8. Communicate effectively with all stakeholders including peers, the fiber procurement team, management, landowners, and suppliers in verbal and written form related to relevant operations, strategies, and status of execution.
9. Assist the Area Manager in the development and reporting of timely and accurate financial information including budgets, forecasts, and projected spending.
10. Represent WestRock in the community by participation in associations, workshops, civic and government affairs.
What You Need to Succeed:
Must have forestry experience preferably related to the direct interaction with external private landowners, successful negotiations for the purchase of private stumpage, timber cruising experience, and experience in recruiting and managing high quality contract logging operations to maintain targeted and consistent delivered fiber.
A strong working knowledge of Excel required along with a proficient knowledge of timber cruising software and GIS.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Bachelor’s degree in Forestry or related field (or 5 years of Forestry experience in the defined fields above).
What we offer:
Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability, and excellence
Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.
Join our Talent Community
See the latest jobs, news and events by joining our talent community:
WestRock Company is creating and maintaining a diverse workforce. For us, diversity and inclusion are business drivers and we take it very seriously. It all starts with a diverse employee base operating in an inclusive environment. An environment where everyone feels valued and respected.
Click here to find our Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity policy statement.
Westrock participates in E-Verify
We do understand that some of our candidates may require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the WestRock application process, including use of this website. If this is the case for you, please contact us at: EMAIL: email@example.com OR PHONE: 1-800-762-5836. Only phone calls pertaining to disability assistance will be returned. One of our Talent Acquisition or Human Resources members will work with you to provide alternative means to submit your application.