Chief Accountant - Jefe de Contabilidad
SOMOS WESTROCK BILBAO (video link)
With operations around the world and expertise in every shopping category, we focus on working with brands to help them win across the board by providing an unbeatable portfolio of paper and packaging products. We're building unbeatable packaging solutions together. WestRock focuses daily on sustainability, safety, and inclusion as well as the values and behaviors that contribute to the success of our company.
Currently, in our office in Bilbao, we are looking for a Chief Accountant (Jefe de Contabilidad) reporting to the Finance Lead.
As a Chief Accountant, you will be responsible for all areas relating to Accounting and Tax Preparation. You will also be in charge of developing and maintaining accounting principles both in US GAAP and Local GAAP, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. Your new role will include the supervision of staff (Accounting Assistants) and its managing to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner.
How you will impact WestRock:
- Supervise the general ledger group to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met
- Ensure month end and year end close accounting activities are met in a timely manner
- Liaise with auditors on the annual FS audits
- Ensure stock and asset physical counts are properly carried out
- Support Tax Returns preparation and ensures timely submissions
- Oversee A/R transactions and cash collection activities
- Support A/P management and payment runs
- Ensure cash in/out transactions are performed
- Ensure all administrative needs are met
- Develop and implement policies and procedures with an emphasis on internal controls
- Ensure Risk Management procedures based on the Group Corporate Governance and Risk Management policies
- Collaborates with the central team and other department managers to support overall department goals and objectives
- Advises staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions
- Responds to inquiries from various origins of the company: GM, Finance lead, Group Controller and other managers regarding accounting information and administrative procedures, special reporting requests and the likes
- Assist in the development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed
- Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advice on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
What you need to succeed:
- 5+ years prior experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area
- Strong financial accounting background: BA/BS in Business with an emphasis in Accounting, MBA degree, and/or CPA are preferred
- Experience in international accounting issues (US GAAP, Group Consolidation, etc.).
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure
- Support the production of key statutory/legal accounting reports as well as other internal management reports
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information
- Assist the Controller and the Finance Lead in the daily requirements
- Ensure the accurate and timely processing of positive pay transactions
- Ensure the monthly and quarterly Bank Compliance activities are performed in a timely and accurate manner
- Strong experience with Microsoft Excel
- Strong interpersonal and customer oriented skills required
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required
- Knowledge of JDE Enterprise would be a plus
- Strong English communication skills both written and verbal
What we Offer:
- A corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability, and excellence
- A role in which you can prove and further develop your management and accounting skills
- International work environment and projects.
- A career path with one of the most prominent and successful companies in paper and paper packaging industry.
If this sounds great to you and you think you would fit in, please submit your application. We want to hear from you!