Leads day to day activities of the Tacoma WestRock mill engineering department where safe performance and environmental excellence is a must. Responsibilities include managing both internal engineering staff and outside engineering resources on an as needed basis. Manages the mill capital portfolio on a regular basis and partners with corporate engineering, legal and purchasing on larger projects. Timely execution of mill projects, on budget performance, and accurate accounting of results will be required. This position reports to the mill Maintenance and Engineering Manager and is part of leadership staff.
What you need to succeed:
- Support safety and environmental compliance.
- Excellent communicator both verbally and written.
- Ensure that all projects are installed per applicable regulatory codes (OSHA, IEEE, NFPA, etc.)
- Comply with corporate project standards and reporting timelines.
- Manage mill capital budget. Front End Planning efforts include developing idea generation efforts into projects, developing budgets, and seeking approval.
- Maintain mill strategic capital plan to ensure continuous improvement.
- Provide direction to staff Project Managers and outside engineering resources.
- Be an operational resource by providing technical expertise.
- Coordinate outside resources to assist with operational improvements.
- Provide input and technical assistance on capital projects from design through completion and commissioning.
Safety and Environmental Health:
- It is expected that a candidate for this position models the following core behaviors: Safety, Integrity, Respect, Accountability, and Excellence.
- Ensures and demonstrates active caring for employees
- Conducts Safety Observation Tours and Safety Audits
- Conducts incident analysis on all accidents. Ensures corrective actions are implemented
- Enforces Safety Rules
- Plans for emergencies
- Ensures personal protective equipment is utilized properly
- Conducts regular safety meetings / communications
- Ensures employees receive all safety training
Ability to Execute: Targets and achieves results, sets and accomplishes challenging goals, prioritizes and manages tasks effectively, maintains an organized system to monitor progress, overcomes obstacles, accepts accountability, sets standards and responsibilities, and provide leadership/motivation.
Change Agent: Drives for continuous improvement while managing expectations and results; Quickly adapts to changing circumstances and accelerates the change within themselves, their work group or the organization; Challenges the status quo and creatively identifies opportunities for improvement; Understands and utilizes tools to facilitate change; Demonstrates a constant commitment to do things better.
Customer Focused: Understands and works to meet customer requirements; Does a great job for customers every day in service, quality, delivery and value; Works to ensure we are easy to do business with; Listens to and responds to customer's needs; Builds relationships with and gains trust of customer by always meeting commitments
Decision Making/Judgment: Recognizes problems and responds, systematically gathers information and weights options, sorts through complex issues, seeks input from others, addresses root cause of issues, makes timely and accurate decisions, can make difficult decisions, uses consensus when possible, clearly communicates decisions to others.
Initiative: Tackles problems and takes independent action, seeks out new responsibilities, acts on opportunities, generates new ideas, practices self-development, demonstrates a bias for action without prompting.
Innovation: Generates new ideas, challenges the status quo, pursues ongoing improvements, supports change, encourages originality, solves problems creatively.
Planning, Prioritizing, and Goal Setting: Develops realistic plans, sets goals, aligns plans with company goals, adequately plans for and manages resources, demonstrates strong time management skills, creates contingency plans, coordinates/cooperates with others.
Problem Solving and Analysis: Breaks down problems into smaller components, understands underlying issues, can simplify and process complex issues and information, understands the difference between critical details and unimportant facts, can analyze data/information and draw accurate conclusions.
Quality: Is attentive to detail and accuracy, is committed to excellence, continuously looks for improvements, finds root cause of problems, owns/acts on problems, seeks opportunities to increase effectiveness and efficiency.
Technical Functional Excellence: Strives to be an expert in their functional/area of technical expertise; Continues to increase technical/functional knowledge through formal & informal learning; Stays current with any advances in their field of expertise; Looks for ways to apply new and emerging technologies; Is sought out by others to provide functional or technical advice; Demonstrates the level of skill and knowledge based on role, level and function
Education, Skills, and Knowledge
- BS Engineering, or related discipline
- 10-15 years of experience in Pulp and Paper Industry
Safety, Health and Environmental
OSHA, State, and local laws/regulations
Learn WestRock internal requirements and audits
Safety Programs and Training.
Construction experience in managing capital projects and leading project teams.
Experience with managing capital projects outside of major discipline.
Working knowledge of power, pulp, and paper mill processes.
Sustainability compliance experience
Microsoft Office Suite, IT Basics, JD Edwards, PI, ParcView, MS Project, etc.
Talent Management Systems
Analytical and Decision making Tools
Strong technical background
Critical thinking skills and a focus on root cause analysis
6 Sigma, Statistics, etc.
CAPEX Procedures & Guidelines
IRR development and auditing of results
Knowledge of mill accounting procedures
Strong Relationships within:
What we offer:
Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.