About WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Process Improvement Engineer - Evadale, TX
1913 Hwy 105 S
Evadale, Texas, 77615
Key to WestRock’s success has been the implementation of, and corporate support for, a Performance Excellence system leveraging Lean Six Sigma tools and methodology.
We are seeking a Process Improvement Engineer for the Evadale Mill within the Consumer Solutions Division located in Evadale TX.
The Process Improvement Engineer directly supports the Performance Excellence effort at the WestRock Evadale TX Mill and Silsbee Extruder facility and would report to the Technical Manager. The scope of the role is focused on continuous improvement through the mill operating system, Lean-Six Sigma Tools and Methodology to improve net mill profitability through efficiency improvements, cost reduction, and commercial improvements (mix, volume, customer satisfaction). The individual will be assigned to lead or facilitate significant improvement projects within the Texas facilities or joint projects requiring collaboration with other business functions.
The role assists paper mill leadership and the site MBB by ensuring projects are properly scoped/chartered, executed and effectively deliver/sustain results. The individual will support efforts for project identification, pipeline management, as well as, supporting CI capability improvement through mentoring/coaching Project Leads.
Project Management experience is required and the capability to span location-wide issues related to process and policy changes is important. Prior training and experience applying Lean-Six Sigma or other structured problem-solving concepts/methodologies is required.
This position can be utilized as a developmental role to prepare the individual to move into roles of greater responsibility. The position will require intermittent travel (< 15% anticipated) to support the mill/extruder, Consumer Solutions, or WestRock Performance Excellence efforts.
How you will impact WestRock
- Work with the mill leadership team and Department team members to identify, quantify, prioritize improvement projects to achieve mill goals.
- Lead/support diagnostic efforts and analysis to identify project opportunities within mill operations and value chain. Support site longer-term facility planning.
- Lead chartered continuous improvement projects focused on cost reduction, efficiency improvement, quality/customer satisfaction and safety as assigned. Utilize Lean-Six Sigma Tools Methodology and other processes.
- Be a highly visible valued servant leader for continuous improvement at the mill. Champion Performance Excellence methodology, be a change agent, effectively coaching and consulting leaders and key stakeholders.
- Help support periodic reviews with key stakeholders to ensure alignment, effective resource management, and execution of active and chartered projects.
- Collaborate as needed with the Finance Department to ensure process and financial results are validated. Help develop and update the financial outlook for the portfolio of active and pipeline continuous improvement projects.
- Support site MBB to Lead/Coach and Mentor part time resources through project execution and sustain activities. Help trainees with LSS certification and other productivity tools methodologies. Work with site management team, HR and MBB to address Performance Excellence LSS skill inventory gaps.
- May be asked to work on or lead projects involving customers, customer service, product development and sales personnel to understand customer requirements and proactively address concerns or improve mix/volume. Participation and facilitating collaborative projects with Sourcing, Supply Chain, TSS/PD, Marketing and COMEX as assigned.
- Serve as an organizational resource to the Technical team and Mill Lead team.
What you need to succeed
- Demonstrated skills in planning and organizing work and tracking multiple assignments.
- Strong team skills in various roles – lead, mentor, participant.
- Prior Lean-Six sigma training and experience executing complex projects using LSS Tools and Methodology. Lean deployment experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering – Chemical, Mechanical or Paper Science Preferred
- 5+ years of professional experience in manufacturing environment in engineering, process improvement or related technical capacity. Paper or similar industry experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability coach/mentor Lean-Six Sigma tools.
- Advanced MS Office skills to include Minitab, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, etc...
- Role model the WestRock values.
- Integrity – Strong moral compass and maintain confidences
- Execution: Demonstrated ability achieve measurable/breakthrough results and successfully negotiate obstacles to capture opportunity/solution. Results-driven.
- Leadership: Able to assume a role of authority as necessary; advocate new ideas with an element of risk; set an example for coworkers; delegate responsibility and empower associates to make decisions; provide constructive feedback to others
- Communication: Able to clearly present information; read and interpret complex information; talk with customers or employees at any level.
- Leading Change: Ability to effectively influence others for strategic change throughout the organization without sacrificing short-term goals in a continuously changing environment.
- Prioritizing: Able to manage multiple projects; use goals to guide actions and create detailed action plans; organize and schedule people and tasks.
- Problem Solving: Able to apply systems thinking to generate solutions; focus on process rather than isolated events; obtain assessment of a situation and be systemic in identifying trouble spots; use tools to define problems; evaluate alternative solutions.
What we offer:
· Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
· Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
· An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
· A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.