About WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Mechatronics (Applications) Engineer, Packaging Machinery - Smyrna, GA
949 Herndon Street NW
Atlanta, Georgia, 30318
Primary Duties include designing and engineering custom automated machines for the packaging industry. The applications engineer will work with senior engineers and manufacturing personnel on designs of mechanisms and systems, reply to requested configurations of existing machine systems, and provide quotations to project management for proposals to customers. Strong working knowledge of all basic mechanical components, systems and functions is required. Some automation experience and/or engineering for manufacturing is required.
How You Will Impact WestRock
● Support the Vision, Mission & Values of WestRock Safety and operational Programs. Leads by example, safety and accountability are a fundamental responsibility of each team member.
● Ensures safe and healthful working conditions and an organized work environment.
● Execute Mechanical engineering and design on assigned projects
● Design and model custom, & operational equipment manufacturer (OEM) product line platform-based machinery, utilizing sound machine design and engineering principles
● Create final detailed part drawings and BOMs for release to purchasing and/or manufacturing
● Release of engineering and machine drawings for machine manufacturing
● Configure machine product lines and details for manufacture based on customer specifications
● Perform a periodic report out of projects to packaging systems Atlanta (PSA) leadership
● Identify and ensure best practices are shared and implemented
● Support machine building process from assembly, de-bug and acceptance testing, through potential on-site customer installations and start-up support
General Functions, Skills and Responsibilities
● Prepare detail drawings in accordance with engineering standards from sketches, models or verbal descriptions.
● Prepare quotations & estimates for Technical sales department leading to presentation to customers.
● Track and record engineering activity accordingly.
● Work with manufacturing, procurement, vendor network, service department and customers to improve OEM machinery product line and parts/product improvement.
● Prepare bills of material and cost estimates as required.
● Maintain drawing and specification files.
● Review teammates output for accuracy, conformance to Engineering Standards, and clarity.
● Domestic and international travel when needed up to 25%.
What You need to Succeed
● Degree in mechanical or mechatronics engineering with 2-4 years’ experience.
● Be a quick learner with demonstrated initiative for contributing early to outcomes for the team
● Contribute as a team member in an environment of continuous improvement and change Self-Motivated with Strong organizational skills
● Clear and Effective communication and listening skills at all levels
● Ability to work as a team member in a dynamic environment
● Ability to organize, analyze and interpret data
● Concise detailed written and verbal communication skills
● 3D CAD skills (SolidWorks or CATIA); Preferred, PTC Pro E / Creo / Windchill, AutoCAD
● PC skills; Preferred i.e. MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop, Desktop Publishing t ools.
● Review and/or develop internal procedure documents
● Have knowledge and enforce compliance of Regulatory requirements (i.e. OSHA, EPA, etc.), Ability to lead / enforce safety guidelines.
● Strong financial acumen with ability to create financial models used to support project selection and determine net project value to the P&L
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining
a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.